When playing blackjack in either a land based casino or as a live dealer game online, card counting can be a beneficial skill and can definitely help players gain an edge at the table. With a little practice, anyone can learn how to count cards, but one will have to be a bit sneaky to successfully employ these skills when playing. To help those that are interested in card counting or even those that may have already started using this strategy, here are 15 different tips that can help with hiding card counting.
Learning how to count cards is not as difficult as on may think and it does not actually involve memorizing each and every card that has been played. With some time and patience, any player can learn this skill and make use of it when playing blackjack games for better chances at winning more hands. There is no guarantee that players will win, but card counting can definitely increase player odds and will surely help with making different decisions at the table when playing for real money. The key is to be able to camouflage card counting so it is not detected in the casino.
Top Tips for Disguising Card Counting in Blackjack
1. One great way to camouflage card counting is not to attract much attention. This means wearing casual clothes and avoid wearing expensive jewellery. This implies a limited bankroll, which is no threat to the casino.
2. Practice the art of palming chips and leaving as few as possible on the table. Nothing will draw suspicion faster that a growing stack of chips. Try to pocket chips when the pit boss is out of view and try to exchange chips for casual items like mints or a lighter that may also be located in the pocket.
3. Consider how you get up from the table and leave the game. Slowly palm the chips down to three or four on the table. The goal is to lose the last few chips and leave the table empty handed. If this is not possible and one must leave with a large stack, head to the Craps or Roulette table immediately and make sure it is noticed. This will help in hiding the fact that you may have been counting cards to win all those chips in the first place.
4. Camouflage counting by playing other gems at the same time, like Keno. Purchase a few Keno tickets before heading to the blackjack table and when you begin to win at the table, call for a Keno runner to check the tickets or to make new bets. This is a great distraction and also lets the dealer and casino staff know you are not focused and are playing other games.
5. Try to avoid playing at a single casino for more than an hour to lessen suspicion. It will be difficult for the pit boss or dealer to definitely see card counting is going on. It is also wise to leave the table when a quarter of the bankroll is won or lost.
6. Never take on the roll of a high roller as these players will always attract attention. The goal is to hide the fact that cards are being counted, so place moderate bets and act as normal act possible.
7. Act like an amateur when necessary. There are cameras everywhere and sooner or later, players will get caught palming chips. Many beginner players will pocket all of their chips when they win and pull them out for each bet that is placed. Don’t be afraid to act like an amateur to throw off any tips of card counting.
8. Playing dumb can also be beneficial. Take extra time to make decisions and ask for advice from other players or the dealer. This will make everyone think this is the first time at the table and one would never accuse a beginner of being a card counter.
9. While it will be required to watch cards closely, the eyes can give a counter away. Take a break from studying cards every few hands and look around the casino and become interested in the action at other tables.
10. Most card counters avoid talking or smiling, so to camouflage counting, laugh, get excited over wins and enjoy chatting with other players. This will eliminate any suspicions, even when on a winning streak.
11. Learn from other counters. Watch for them at tables and if spotted, approach them after the game. There is a great chance that camouflaging tips can be exchanged between two counters.
12. Play with a partner. One can be the player and the other can be the counter. It can make for a successful pouting if the one who is not betting is actually counting the cards for the other player. Ties has been a successful camouflaging technique for many years.
13. Always tip the dealer. Dealers also know how to count cards and if a dealer believes the player is doing this, they may shuffle more often. By tipping the dealer there is a chance they will not shuffle, even when they suspect the player of counting the cards.
14. Take things slow. When on a winning streak, enjoy it and avoid switching tables. The same goes for losing streaks. Avoid jumping from table to table when the hands go bad as this will only draw attention.
15. Ignore all tips when playing online at live casinos. Since there are no cameras or people watching every move, there is no need to camouflage any counting. However, this can be a great opportunity to practice counting skills.
To Sum it Up
Card counting is a great way to win more at a casino, but it is also an activity that should be hidden as much as possible. By using these camouflaging tips, players can enjoy counting cards, winning more and staying undetected. Camouflaging is used by the best players in the world, so practice these tips so you can become one of the successful blackjack players to walk away with a pocket full of chips.